A message from Chief Information Security Officer Adam Toulson
An email sent to all staff on 3 November by Chief Information Security Officer Adam Toulson.
We’re writing to update you on the progress of the Identity and Access Management (IDAM) project.
The way new staff get a username has changed. Staff usernames will now be automatically created once a valid record has been set up in SAP.
Don’t use the form on username.leeds.ac.uk to apply for a staff username as these requests are no longer being processed.
The new username process is:
- The hiring manager/local HR/departmental coordinator submits the request in the usual way to HR. This part of the process hasn’t changed. Please note if the new starter requires a University username, the form must include a personal email address. It won’t be possible to set up their new University account without this.
- Within 10 working days of submission, their SAP record will be created by the HR team.
- Within one further working day, their IT account and username will be automatically generated.
- At this point enrolments on modules, requests for IT equipment and requests for access, such as to the SAP and Restricted Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD), can be made on the new staff member’s behalf.
- Full access to some systems, such as Minerva, may take a further 24 hours.
- If their employment has already commenced, new and returning colleagues will receive a message to their personal email address shortly after the user account is created. Otherwise, the email will be sent to them the day before their start date. This email will tell them how to access their account, set up two-factor authentication and self-service password reset and to complete their compulsory cyber security training.
If this process has been completed, and there’s an urgent and critical request for the username to be created more quickly, the individual should contact the relevant HR Operations inbox to which the work was submitted. This is email@example.com for professional services and Facilities Directorate-based requests, and firstname.lastname@example.org for faculty-based colleagues.
There may be some delays on these timeframes during the transition period. Thank you for your patience as we implement the new process and system.
Chief Information Security Officer