Reinforcing our commitment to LGBT+ inclusion
We have reinforced our commitment to LGBT+ inclusion by joining forces with Stonewall – the UK’s leading lesbian, gay, bi and trans rights charity.
We have worked closely with our active LGBT+ Staff Network, Students Union Officers and colleagues across the organisation during recent years to progress LGBT+ inclusion. This has resulted in a number of positive outcomes, including:
- a Trans Equality Policy and supporting guidance
- the provision of gender neutral toilets in every building on campus
- the introduction of trans awareness training for staff; and
- successful events to mark national awareness days e.g. LGBT+ STEM Day, National Coming Out Day, LGBT+ History Month etc.
In order to ensure we have the best resources and guidance to further progress our LGBT+ inclusion work, we have joined Stonewalls Diversity Champions Programme. In doing so, we join more than 80 Higher Education Institutions dedicated to progressing LGBT+ inclusion, with whom we can share ideas and best practice.
As colleagues, you will also have access to a number of benefits, including:
- a library of research and best practice guides focused on LGBT+ inclusion
- a named contact, who can provide tailored support and resources on a range of LGBT+ inclusion matters
- regular opportunities to attend events, seminars and webinars, all designed to help you further support our LGBT+ staff and students; and
- the use of the Stonewall Diversity Champions logo (see above) on University recruitment and marketing materials signalling our commitment to potential students and staff.
Emily Towler, Co-Chair of the Universitys LGBT+ Staff Network, said: Its great to see the University collaborating with Stonewall to support LGBT+ inclusion here at Leeds.
Having this support and resource will enable us to focus on a number of priority actions over the next year that will have a significant impact on our LGBT+ community.
The Equality Policy Unit (EPU) at Leeds will work with colleagues on specific LGBT+ initiatives during the next 12 months.
Please email the EPU or call the team on x36662 to access the membership benefits.
Posted in: University news