New Year, new commute
Would you like to save money, travel more sustainably and enjoy a more social commute?
You could be in with the chance of winning a prize by registering with the FAXI car sharing app
We have collaborated with tech company, FAXI, to give you a way to connect with colleagues and carpool (car share).
The FAXI App offers a mobile-based platform that is easy to use and enables staff to identify colleagues who may drive a similar route to work and have similar working hours. The in-app technology enables instant messaging between users to allow carpooling arrangements to be made between drivers and passengers.
Using the FAXI app, you and your colleagues can record and share your journeys to and from University. The app uses sensors in your smartphone to help you to record carpooling activity, which is used to validate shared journeys and offer incentives and rewards.
Dr Louise Ellis, Director of Sustainability Services at Leeds, said: Carpooling is being encouraged as the need to reduce the number of cars on our roads is more important than ever to tackle congestion, emissions and air quality.
The latest University Travel Survey results revealed 25% of employees travel to work as a single-occupancy car user, and we are committed to supporting staff to try alternatives, including carpooling.
This latest initiative links into our new Travel Plan and Climate Principles. It also supports the Leeds Clean Air Pledge, which Vice-Chancellor, Sir Alan Langlands, signed in 2018, and the Leeds Clean Air Zone (expected to come into force in summer 2020).
Share your journey for a more social and cost-effective commute
The FAXI process is quite straightforward; simply:
- download the app and register your account
- find University employees with a similar route to campus
- connect with colleagues, who share similar working hours, through instant messaging
- create carpooling arrangements, on a weekly or daily basis; and
- automatically record shared journeys to be in with the opportunity to win some great prizes.
Why not register for free with FAXI today to see who you could share your journey for a more social and cost-effective commute.
And staff who register and use the app during January 2020 will be entered into a prize draw for the chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher (prize draw details below).
Its easy to join you can download the app from the Google Play or Apple App store or sign up via the web.
Prize draw details:
- one entry for all new members who register during January 2020
- one entry for every existing member who joined pre-January 2020
- one further entry per each validated carpool journey made per person in January 2020
- open to all colleagues who register and use the closed University of Leeds staff community in the FAXI app, whether driver or passenger, existing permit holder or not
- prize is a £100 John Lewis gift-card
- prize draw entries close at midnight on Friday 31 January 2020; and
- the prize winner will be drawn on Tuesday 4 February.