Student Ball 2019 – restricted access to campus
Advice is being issued regarding restricted access on campus during this year’s Student Ball.
A total of 6,000 students are expected to descend on the area in and around the University Union on Saturday 8 June to enjoy a packed programme of entertainment, including live music, DJs, stalls, fairground rides and games.
The annual event will start at 9pm and finish at 6am on Sunday 9 June.
The site extends from the Michael Sadler building through to the bridge in University Road (shown in this PDF map). There are a number of central areas the event will make use of, including University Road, University Square, Clothworkers Court area, the precinct and Central Green area.
- University Square and the Central Green from 6pm on Thursday 6 June to allow for fairground rides to be installed
- University Square, between about 9am and 2pm on Friday 7 June and Beech Grove Plaza, from 1pm until 5pm on Friday 7 June, for stretch tents to be installed
- University Square and Beech Grove Plaza will be closed from 4pm on Saturday 8 June until 6.30am on Sunday 9 June
- University Road will be closed from 6pm on Saturday 8 June until 6.30am on Sunday 9 June
Access to buildings will be maintained at all times, although it may not be the usual route. LUU will provide signage and stewards to help direct staff and students. Disabled access will also be maintained.
Facilities unavailable from 5pm on Friday 7 June include:
- Marjorie and Arnold Ziff building disabled parking bays alternative bays are available at the Music and Clothworkers Centenary Concert Hall; and
- all cycle racks on the ball site alternatives are available at the Parkinson building and University Road, next to the Psychology building.
Stephen Keeble, Head of Commercial Operations at Leeds, said: This is a really important event for students; one of those key moments in their journey through University life.
We stage this event as a celebration of their time at Leeds, but were also mindful other people will be using campus at these times, so we will try to keep any disruption to a minimum.
Buildings in the area will be accessible to staff up to 6pm on Saturday 8 June on presentation of their staff identity card. Any member of staff wishing to access the site after 6pm should contact the security office on 35494 or call in at 183 Woodhouse Lane.
There is likely to be some congestion on campus near the taxi ranks and drop-off points at Cromer Terrace, University Road entrance and outside the Parkinson building.
Posted in: University news