Saddle up for Let’s Ride 2018
It’s time to saddle up for the HSBC UK Let’s Ride Leeds 2018 cycle event this weekend.
British Cycling and HSBC UK will be returning to the city on Sunday 2 September following the success of last years free, family event.
HSBC UK Lets Ride Leeds (formerly Sky Ride and City Ride) will see six kilometres of city centre roads including a section of the University campus closed to motor traffic to give thousands of people the perfect opportunity to explore their city on two wheels.
This years event will have a strong community focus, linking up with local attractions, including the First Direct Arena. There will be a range of local community groups, bike shops, performers and giveaways along the route, with participants encouraged to hop off their bikes and find out more.
Confirmed attractions include:
- HSBC UK Lets Ride Spin to Win represent your city and try and top the national leaderboard
- one-to-one coaching from British Cycling
- the chance to pedal through time in the virtual reality cycling experience
- getting your bib personalised on the day
- testing your top speed against Sir Chris Hoys at the Sprint Zone; and
- the Extreme Mountain Bike Show, led by Multiple British and European Mountain Bike Trials Champion, Danny Butler.
And theres still time to get involved.
Register your free place by visiting the British Cycling website.
As University staff, theres an extra incentive for you to take part, as you will also receive a free family experience at Leeds Bodington Cycle Circuit* when you sign up. To qualify for this special offer, visit the Universitys Sport & Physical Activity website to complete the family experience booking form after registering for Lets Ride 2018.
One of the cycle circuit team will then get in contact to book in a date for you and your family to enjoy the cycle circuit for free at one of the usual Pay and Pedal cycle sessions.
And dont worry if you need to borrow bikes or helmets, as they can be supplied.
The Universitys Head of Sport, Suzanne Glavin, said: This is a great opportunity for us all to experience this wonderful city traffic-free and get out there with family and friends and enjoy being active in the fresh air.
There are some wonderful stop-offs on the way, with refreshments stalls and entertainment, so it will be a fun day out for all. And if the ride inspires you to be more active, more regularly, we have some exciting opportunities for you to try out our closed cycle circuit up at Bodington and/or our spin classes at The Edge.
The section of the route through the University campus will remain unchanged from last year, with associated road closure warnings issued:
- There will be no access to campus between 8am and 4pm from University Road, the main entrance or Willow Terrace (see the campus map).
- There will be no parking along the route University Road, Cavendish Road, Hillary Place, Vernon Road and Willow Terrace during the same period and no access to the multi-storey or Edge car parks.
- Please do not leave your vehicles in these areas overnight as you may be unable to move them on Sunday morning until the end of the event.
- Campus access will be available via Mount Preston Street but parking will be severely limited.
* Bodington Cycle Circuit is a one-mile closed loop cycle circuit in North Leeds, providing a safe, traffic-free environment for the whole family to enjoy.
Posted in: University news