Honorary Degree nominations
Staff are invited to submit names for consideration by the Committee on Honorary Degrees for awards in 2019.
Honorary degrees were awarded to six prominent figures during the installation ceremony for the Universitys new Chancellor in July:
- Kenton Cool, mountaineer and adventurer
- Professor Mary Fowler, Master of Darwin College, Cambridge
- Peter Gibbs, former BBC Weather forecaster
- Professor Gabriele Hegerl, Professor of Climate System Science, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Alice Roberts, writer, TV presenter and Professor of Public Engagement in Science, University of Birmingham; and
- Jane Rumble, Head of Polar Regions Department, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Other eminent recipients during the Universitys graduation ceremony fortnight were:
- Professor Wendy Burn, President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Professor Dame Clare Marx, former President of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and Associate Medical Director at Ipswich Hospital
- Professor Iain Mattaj, Director General, European Molecular Biology Laboratory
- David Olusoga, British-Nigerian historian, TV presenter and producer
- Dame Anne Owers, Chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commission
- Professor Lord Robert Mair, President of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Reverend Christopher Senyonjo, clergyman and campaigner for LGBT rights in Uganda; and
- Professor Leslie Valiant, Professor of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, Harvard University.
Speaking at the time, Sir Alan Langlands, the Universitys Vice-Chancellor, said: It is a privilege to acknowledge and honour such distinguished individuals, all of whom have contributed great knowledge, understanding and expertise in the service of society. We are proud to celebrate their achievements.
Now, the University is seeking suggestions from staff for equally deserving candidates to be honoured in the same way at next years graduation ceremonies.
Alternatively, hard copies can be sent to The Secretariat, 11/72 E C Stoner Building, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT.