Pay 2018-19 final offer detail
Pay 2018-19 final offer is being considered by unions: at least 2% base pay increase (up to 2.8% at the lower points of the scale).
The final Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA) offer is being considered by the five recognised Higher Education trade unions who will make arrangements to consult their members. We expect this to be from late May to mid June.
The main points of the final UCEA 2018-19 offer, are:
- a 2% increase on base pay from 1 August 2018;
- up to 2.76% increase on base pay for salary points 2 to 15;
- further joint work on two important issues: the gender pay gap and casual working arrangements.
Nationally, the 2% base pay increase, plus the service increments that around half the sectors staff are likely to receive, means the offer constitutes a sector pay increase of around 3.5%.
For University of Leeds staff employed on the University salary scales this would mean an annual increase of:
- at least 2% for all staff;
- a greater increase (to the value of £425) for staff on points up to and including point 15, (relevant to grades 2, 3 and 4*), benefitting more than 1350 members of staff;
- at least 5% for staff receiving service increments (2% base pay increase + 3% service increment), benefitting more than 4000 (47%) members of staff.
*The table below, published by UCEA, outlines the percentage increases that this offer equates to.
|Note: Percentage increases are rounded to two decimal points.|
|Pay point||Annual salary value from 1 August 2018 (£)||Percentage increase on 1 August 2017 values|
On 10 May, UCEA and the trade unions met for the third of three pre-arranged meetings as the New Joint Negotiation Committee for Higher Education Staff, (New JNCHES) to discuss the 2018-19 pay offer. Over the course of the meetings, the original offer was improved and trade unions will soon consult with their members about the final offer.
Five HE trade unions are recognised at New JNCHES: UCU, UNISON, Unite, EIS and GMB.
UCEA represents 147 HE employers, including the University of Leeds.