Warning - phishing email
The University is currently being targeted by phishing scams. The email may have the subject 'UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS' or ‘You have 1 message from Human Resource’. Do not click on links or reply.
If you have clicked on a link and entered your details, please contact the IT Service Desk as soon as possible (firstname.lastname@example.org, 0113 343 3333). The University continues to be targeted by other phishing scams, so please be vigilant. For more information about phishing, visit information security.
Tips to avoid getting hooked by a phishing scam:
- even if an email requesting account information appears to have come from an official and/or trusted sender, do not trust it;
- don't reply to email or pop-up messages that ask for personal or financial information, and don't click on links in the message;
- don't cut and paste a link from the message into your web browser - phishers can make links look like they go to one place, but they actually send you to a different site;
- if you are concerned about your account, contact the organisation using a phone number you know to be genuine, or open a new internet browser window and type in the company's correct web address yourself;
- don't email personal or financial information - email is not a secure way to send information;
- review credit card and bank account statements as soon as you receive them to check for unauthorised charges;
- be cautious about opening any attachment or downloading any files from emails you receive, regardless of who sent them.