The University's St Marks Residences has been named as the Best Student Housing by CUBO, the Colleges and Universities Business Officers association.
The new St Marks Residences for postgraduate students at Leeds opened in September 2014. During the design process, students were consulted about what they would want in their ideal student accommodation, and the flats incorporate many of the features requested, such as:
- larger than usual workspace and ergonomically designed desks and chairs
- spacious en suite bathrooms
- security measures including room safes and secure cycle storage
- networked printers in a communal Resource Centre
- leisure facilities, including a small gym
- accessibility for disabled students and visitors
Taking inspiration from some adjacent Almshouses, the flats are arranged around a central courtyard, with the buildings protecting and enclosing a communal garden in the centre. The grounds have been planted to encourage wildlife.
Since opening, St Marks has prompted excellent feedback from residents:
"I'm very proud of living at St Marks"
"Thank you for the service and lovely accommodation you provide."
"St Marks is a brilliant place to live and I've already booked my room for next year."
"The accommodation totally exceeded my expectations."