Mr Colin Belford
Colleagues will be sorry to learn of the recent death of Mr Colin Belford, former Technician in the School of Physics and Astronomy.
Mr Belford trained as a watch and clock maker and, following a short period in the Army, ran the Watchmakers Shop on Woodhouse Lane between 1954 and 1957. He joined the School of Physics and Astronomy as a Technician in January 1957 and worked in the Mechanical Workshop until his retirement at the end of 1988.
As a trained watchmaker, Mr Belford was greatly skilled in dealing with very intricate devices and was often called upon to help with very delicate equipment in the laboratories.
He worked closely with the late Dr Leslie Hodson and was involved in the building and running of a cloud chamber, a huge piece of equipment which filled up the barn area of Physics. The research looked at particles from outer space with the aim of finding the 1/3 e quark.
The Funeral Service will take place at 11.00am on Saturday 24 May 2014 at St Chads Church, Otley Road, Headingley, LS6.Posted in: Obituaries