New Year's Honours 2014
Congratulations to Dr Alistair McFadyen (School of Philosophy, Religion and the History of Science) and alumnus Keir Starmer QC; recognised, along with other alumni, in the New Year's Honours.
Sir Keir Starmer QC and Dr Alistair McFadyen MBE
Dr McFadyen has been awarded an MBE for services to policing and the community. Dr McFadyen is a Special Constable with the West Yorkshire Police, as well as being a Senior Lecturer in Systematic Theology at the University. His research interests lie in trying to understand theologically what it means to be human in practice as well as in theory and how to speak humanly about humanity, and he tries to work explicitly in ways that bring the two worlds of policing in a plural society and academic study of religion together.
A former Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer has been made a Knight of the Order of the Bath (KCB) for services to law and criminal justice. Mr Starmer (Law 1985; Hon. LLD 2012) has maintained his links with the Universitys School of Law, returning regularly to take part in special events.
Other alumni who have received honours are:
Knight Bachelor (KBE)
- Michael Wilkins (Education 1978), Chief Executive, Outwood Grange Family of Schools, has been knighted for services to Education.
Officer of the British Empire (OBE)
- Marcus Killick (Law 1985), Chief Executive Officer, Financial Services Commission, Gibraltar, for services to the regulation of financial services in Gibraltar.
- Professor Wendy Tindale (MSc Medical Physics 1979), Scientific Director, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, and Clinical Director, NIHR Devices for Dignity Healthcare Technology Cooperative, for services to Healthcare.
- Barry Whitaker (Textile Industries 1960), for services to the Textile Industry and to the community in Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Member of the British Empire (MBE)
- Peter Sparling (Law 1954), Deputy Chairman of Opera North, for services to the Arts, Education and to the community in West Yorkshire.
Posted in: University news