From gown to town: alternatives to an academic career
The 2011 From Gown to Town careers conference for researchers is to take place on Tuesday 7 June.
Speakers and workshops will help researchers identify the range of opportunities and the challenges of a career outside academia.
Who is it for?
The conference is for research students and early career research staff from any faculty at the University of Leeds who are considering a career outside academic research or lecturing.
What does it include?
- Exploration of options including private sector, public sector, self-employment, and other opportunities in higher education outside academic research
- Practical job-search - where to look for jobs and how to network
- Employers' views of researchers
- How to sell your skills and experience to non-academic employers
- Researchers talking about their experience of applying, competing and working outside academia
The day will include a light lunch and refreshments.
Booking a place
The conference is free to researchers at the University of Leeds but you need to book a place in order to attend via the Careers Centre online booking system. You will need to log in to the system with your university username and password, select 'Events', find and select the conference title and click on '+Book'.
If you have any questions about the conference, please email Kiera McFarlane at the Careers Centre.
Please note that if you attended 'Town... not gown' in June 2010, this year's conference will have a very similar format to the conference last year and will include talks from some of the same speakers.Posted in: Research and innovation