Grant award success
New awards totalling £65 million were won by the University in the first half of 2009/10 – an increase of 47% compared to the previous year.
Of particular note are increases in awards by UK charities - up by 197%, due mainly to Professor John Fisher's £11.2 million Wellcome Trust award - and EU Government - up 73%, with awards in the faculties of ESSL, FBS, Environment, Engineering, MAPS and Medicine & Health.
Seven new awards each over £1 million - total value £20.3 million - were received in the first half of 2009/10, compared to six totalling £11.2 million in the equivalent period last year. The seven awards are as follows:
- Professor John Fisher, School of Mechanical Engineering - Wellcome Trust (£11.2m)
- Professor Peter Selby, LIMM, School of Medicine, CRUK (£2.1m)
Professor David Cottrell, LIHS, School of Medicine, NCCHTA (£1.8m)
- Dr Benjamin Murray, School of Chemistry. EEC (£1.5m)
- Professor Anne Neville, School of Mechanical Engineering, EPSRC (£1.5m)
- Dr Colin Johnson, LIMM, School of Medicine, Jules Thorn Charitable Trust (£1.1m)
- Dr J A Child, LIMM, School of Medicine, MRC (£1.1m)