For Staff

What to do in an emergency

In the case of an emergency on campus, it's important to know who should be your first port of call.

The University Security Service

The University Security Service operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year. They offer crime prevention advice, patrol the campus, investigate crimes, and respond to alarms and emergencies.

If you need to get in touch with the University Security Service, contact:

Security Control Room
175 Woodhouse Lane

Tel: (0113) 343 5494/5 (non-emergencies)
or (0113) 343 2222 (emergencies only)



If you witness a crime or if you're the victim of a crime, contact both the University Security Service and the police. For all non-emergency situations, call the police on 101. The Estates and Campus Support Services website can tell you or your students what information you'll need to give the police or the University Security Service.

Accident or ill health

After contacting the emergency services as appropriate, any accidents or incidents including fire and bomb threats should be reported through Sentinel. Any accidents resulting in a major injury or death should be reported to an approved manager and to Health and Safety Services.


If you discover a fire:

  • sound the fire alarm
  • only attempt to put out the fire if it is safe to do so
  • always ensure that your escape route is clear, your route into the building may NOT be the closest/fastest exit route
  • evacuate yourself from the building
  • report to the fire wardens outside the building with details of the location and type of fire.

In event of fire

The fire alarm is a continuous alarm sounding. If you hear this alarm you should immediately evacuate the building by the nearest exit.

  • If you are teaching you should ensure that all the students leave the lecture venue.
  • Do not stop to collect personal belongings.
  • Do not use the lifts.
  • Do not re-enter the building until told it is safe to do so by a fire warden or by security.

Critical incidents

If the emergency is one which threatens to severely disrupt (in whole or in part) the functioning of a faculty, service or the University as a whole, and/or which carries the risk of significant adverse publicity, then it should be treated as a critical incident and should be reported to the Secretariat, via the Office of the University Secretary, Roger Gair (34011).

Read more about critical incidents at the University.