WWChild: Clinical Trials Research Unit, School of Medicine
An exploratory study to determine the potential impact of parental attendance at WW (formally Weight Watchers) on weight and behavioural outcomes in children.
Are you interested in losing weight and improving the health of your family?
If so, and you feel yourself and your child would benefit from losing weight, you may be eligible to take part in a study exploring the potential impact of a parent attending a commercial weight loss programme on their childs weight.
The study is looking at the potential impact of parents attending WW (formally Weight Watchers) on the weight and behaviour changes in children. Therefore, we are seeking parent/primary care givers who are interested in themselves and their child becoming a healthier weight.
The study will involve the parent and their child attending two data collection appointments at the University of Leeds, which will involve collecting physical measures, such as height and weight, and the parent completing questionnaires about diet and exercise routines.
Parents will be randomly allocated to either 12 weeks at WW (provided free of charge) or to act as part of a control group. Those in the control group will receive 12 weeks' free access to WW at the end of the study. Children will not take part in the intervention. £20 shopping vouchers will be provided at each data collection appointment to cover expenses.
To be able to take part:
- child must be aged 5-11 years
- BMI/ BMI percentile of both parent and child must indicate both are overweight
- parent must have access to a smartphone to access the WW app
- parent must be able to attend weekly WW meetings; and
- both the parent and child must have no past or current health conditions that make taking part in the study unsafe or unreasonable.
Complete the screening survey if you would like to find out if you are able to participate in this study, please follow the link below to complete a screening survey.
- Contact: Louise Padgett (Research Assistant) - Email: L.B.Padgett@leeds.ac.uk / WWChild@leeds.ac.uk - Tel: 0113 343 7685 - Address: Clinical Trials Research Unit, Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT
- Ethical approval reference number: MREC 19-023
- Closing date for participants: 30 April 2020