Choice Modelling Centre – Institute for Transport Studies
The Choice Modelling Centre is looking for participants in an important European research project aimed at gaining a better understanding of how individuals make decisions in a variety of contexts.
The Choice Modelling Centre at the University of Leeds is looking for participants in an important European research project called Choices and consumption: modelling long and short term decisions in a changing world.
The project is aimed at gaining a better understanding of how individuals make decisions in a variety of contexts, including transport and energy use.
This project will not only make a contribution to research but also produce results that will benefit the community by helping to improve transport and energy use within the population.
How you could help this research
As a participant in this study, you will be required to complete an online survey and use a smartphone GPS travel application for two weeks (or longer if you wish). The survey is made up of two parts:
- In the first part we will ask you to report a number of your social contacts and invite them to take part in the study. They will receive an email on your behalf and they are free to choose whether they want to be involved or not. This is essential because our study needs to rely on a big social network of people living in the UK.
- In the second part we will ask you to report information about you and your transport and energy use habits, both nowadays and in the past. The entire survey will take approximately 30 minutes. After completing this survey, you will receive instructions on how to download a GPS travel application to your smartphone. For each trip you make, you will receive a notification and you will have to answer some quick questions about your trip. You do not have to do this immediately but can complete your trip information during breaks or at the end of the day. This will only require a few seconds for each trip.
In order to take part in this research you need to:
- be 18 years old or older
- own an Android Smartphone or an iPhone and live in the UK
As a reward for taking part in this study you will have the chance to win a £100 shopping voucher. You will be entered in the prize draw as soon as you complete all the survey components and use the smartphone app as required.
You will also have the opportunity to use and keep using for the duration of our study a high-quality GPS travel application that will give you feedback about your trips and activities.
This project has been approved by the Ethics Committee of the University of Leeds. Any information you provide about yourself and your social contacts will be anonymised and only used for academic research, as will the information they themselves will provide. By no means will the data you provide be linked to you as a person. All the details about privacy are explained in the participant information sheet.
Further information and assistance
For a more detailed description of what the Choice Modelling Centre and the Institute for Transport Studies do, you can visit our websites. Should you have any doubts regarding the nature of the study, the data management or how to complete any part of the survey, you can contact us anytime by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 07850-320063 or 07899-359837, or come and see us at the University of Leeds at an agreed time.
To joint the project
- Contact: Romain Crastes dit Sourd, Research fellow, Institute for Transport Studies - email@example.com
- Ethical approval reference number: AREA 14-153
- Closing date for participants: 01 December 2015