People with a relative with type 2 diabetes are more at risk of developing it themselves. We are trying to identify some reasons why and to see if we can halt or delay the onset.
We are looking to recruit 160 people who have a first degree relative (parent, brother, sister, child) with type 2 diabetes.
You would have to attend 5 appointments over a 9-12 month period. Each appointment will be in the morning between 7.00am and 11.00am, following an overnight fast. At each visit up to 75mls of blood will be taken in total, which is the equivalent of about 5 tablespoons.
The aims of the study are:
- to compare the seasonal changes in levels of chemicals in the body which are associated with the development of obesity, diabetes and heart disease in relatives of people with type 2 diabetes
- to test whether resetting the body clock by taking melatonin changes the levels of these chemicals in the blood.
Please contact us for more information.
- Contact: Penny Rice - email: email@example.com; tel: 3437702
- Ethical approval reference number: 14/YH/0172 (NHS)
- Closing date for participants: 30 September 2015